Gingerbread Syrup for Coffee : Homemade Christmas Gifts

| November 23, 2012 | 22 Comments

Sometimes it’s not appropriate to take alcohol as a gift, so I have an alternative to my Spiced Vodka – Gingerbread syrup that can be added to coffee, for a winter warming sweet flavour, or drizzled on vanilla ice cream, it’s absolutely delicious.

homemade christmas gifts gingerbread syrup

I made this last year, and I have been playing around with the recipe, to try and increase the depth of flavour. I prefer it to be spicier, and this seems to have taken on more of a true gingerbread taste.

homemade gifts Gingerbread syrup for coffee

You will need for approximately 800 ml of syrup, or three small Fentimans bottles:

• 4 cups of water
  • 2 cups of granulated sugar
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of molasses sugar
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 inches of peeled fresh ginger, chopped into quarter-inch pieces
  • Vanilla Pod
  • 10 cloves
  • 10 whole black peppercorns

Add all of the ingredients to a pan, and bring to the boil.  Reduce and simmer for around 20 minutes. Strain, and let it cool for before transferring into bottles. If it does not fill the three bottles, I top up with more cooled boiled water.

I have chosen to decorate with some gingerbread buttons, that I bought from eBay last year. You could buy gingerbread cookie cutters cheaply and add those, or even cook some gingerbread men to give as well.

Spiced Vodka Gingerbread syrup
With the 3 bottles of Spiced Vodka, that’s 6 gifts for less than £25, and a very Merry Christmas indeed!

Tots100 Experience Days Competition

Also check out The Family Budgeting Bumper thrifty Christmas ideas

Tags: , , ,

Category: Food/Drink, handmade, The Blog

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Spiced Vodka : Homemade Christmas Gifts | November 23, 2012
  2. Simple Ideas for a Rich Life: November | November 26, 2013
  1. Sonya cisco

Love it, going to give it ago. Gorgeous buttons too! I have a thing for buttons! :)
    Sonya cisco recently posted..Hunting for Joy.My Profile

2. mum of all trades

Oh I love the sound of this! The way you have it presented is just lovely too. I swear every year I am going to make some homemade gifts but in the end its always so rushed I never get around to it. But this seems very do-able
    mum of all trades recently posted..How To Make a Footstool From An Old Coffee TableMy Profile

3. This looks delicious! I love the idea of making homemade gifts to give to everyone, but time seems to run away with me and it never happens. This year maybe! ;)
    Jen Stanbrook recently posted..5 Easy Ways to Update your Christmas DecorationsMy Profile

4. Laura

I’m going to have a go at this one. I love gingerbread syrup in coffee in coffee shops, I had no idea you could make it yourself. Going to make some for me and my brother. Does it have vanilla in? It looks like vanilla on the plate but its not in the recipie? Thanks x

5. jenny paulin

wow thats amazing i used to always request this at Costa in my latte. you make it seem so easy too x
    jenny paulin recently posted..Guess How Much I Love You DVD – A ReviewMy Profile

6. Sian says:

what a great idea : ) I think it will have to go on next years ‘to do’ list now though!
    Sian recently posted..WetMy Profile

7. Jenny

Oh my! Just what I was looking for. However, I’m not giving this away–I want it for myself! :)

If you come up with a pumpkin one, I’d be sooo happy!
    Jenny recently posted..Vintage Style Lace Earrings – Victorian Fancy Scroll Venetian Lace in Ruby Amethyst Ombre (Red and Purple Hues) by venusenvyartMy Profile

8. yum! love the cute tags too with the gingerbread men buttons. x
    thebeesleybuzz recently posted..Britain’s Best Christmas Craft using one piece of paper!My Profile

9. Sally

This looks amazing, thanks so much for sharing the secret with us!
    Sally recently posted..Chris Maloney, Prank Calls and Squaring the Circle.My Profile

10. Becky

Was delish!!!! Thank you
    Becky recently posted..Home Makeover on a Budget …The Perfect RugMy Profile

11. Thanks so much for sharing! I never would have thought of making flavored coffee syrups. Such a fabulous idea!!!
    Nikki Gillette recently posted..Some Christmas HumorMy Profile

12. Alex says:

This looks great. How long does it last in the bottle?