My Bedroom Makeover : The reveal (photo heavy post)

| March 3, 2014 | 31 Comments

Light, bright, comfortable, with a vintage but classic feel to it. I also wanted to add pattern and colour.  This was my brief for my bedroom makeover. With the help of the DIY superstore B&Q and Silent Night I think I achieved just that.  Here is the moodboard to give you a taster, and here is how it looked originally. It’s actually turned out much more of a spring like sunny room, than I imagined, and it seems so much more brighter, lighter, but feels cosy too.

Starting off with the wallpaper, which is brilliant quality, thick and easy to put up on the walls, thanks to my fantastic decorator Craig.  I am so pleased I choose this wallpaper-Fleurette Wallpaper in Gold by Arthouse Vintage (£18 per roll), as it really steered me with the rest of the makeover.  At first though, whilst I was looking at all the different ones that B & Q have in their range, I was struggling to choose, its impressive how many different designs they have available.

B & Q spring bedroom makeover

The accessories, really pulled the look together.  I love the photograph frames - 7×5 Baroque Picture Frame Cream (£9 each) which for now I have filled with off-cuts of wallpaper, until I have time to choose some photographs.

DSC_0076

DSC_0082

The glass sweetie jar (£8) from B&Q looks perfect on my window sill, I think I am going to fill it with cotton wool balls.

DSC_0089

The lamps I picked up at my local B & Q store - Groves Limestone Ceramic Lamp (£30) I debated whether to go for something more vintage, but I think this simple classic look lamp, works really well with the overall look of the room.  Just the right shade of stone/cream,  and they are great quality. Two tone of shiny and matt pot lamp base, with a material shade.

DSC_0078

I couldn’t resist going for a chandelier style light - Cesare Beaded Shade (£30) for the centre of the room.  Really simple to fit as it just attached like a lampshade. No electrician needed, thank goodness.   It really looks pretty in the day when it’s not on, but looks even better in the evening, as the crystals catch the light.

DSC_0080

DSC_0092

I used three mirrors-  Metallic Effect Bordered Mirror 40X50Cm (£20 each) in a row at the back of the bed, both to bounce light around the room, but also as I’m a big fan of repetition in interiors, and groups of three always look better.  I think they are incredibly impressive, and look far more expensive than £20.

DSC_0093

The woodwork was updated with Dulex white gloss, and the handles for the wardrobes were also replaced.  They look and feel so much more expensive than they are, at just under £5 each.  The walls were painted in Ivory by Fired Earth, as I wanted to try a premium paint brand from B & Q to see how it compared to my usual choice.  It went on extremely well, and has a very chalky and matt look.

DSC_0097

In the evening :

DSC_0103

DSC_0104

The bedding I kept very plain and simple in cream, with delicate pleating - Simplicity Cream Embellished (starting from £17) for a bed set.

We have now been sleeping on our new mattress a Memory 3 Zone mattress from Silent night for three weeks, and it has got to have given us the best nights sleep ever over those weeks.  I think you really need to give one a go to understand the difference the memory foam makes.  Its even easier to dress the bed with a memory foam mattress, I think it’s because the mattress is slight thinner than a sprung one.  The memory zone 3 cost half the price of our last sprung mattress, and it feels far superior in terms of comfort too.
DSC_0074

That’s my bedroom makeover complete, I hope you like it, I cant wait to enjoy it, you never know maybe a lie in is called for!

If you enjoy my lifestyle, homes and interior posts, I would love it if you could vote for me in the homes and interior category of the MAD blog awards, thank you.  Press the badge below to vote.

MAD Blog Awards

Category: 366 project, Home and Garden - Ana Makeovers

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Secret Linen Store : I Love Mondays - The Ana Mum Diary | March 10, 2014
  2. The reveal (photo heavy post) | March 10, 2014
  3. En-suite Makeover - The Ana Mum Diary | April 29, 2014
  1. Molly

It looks AMAZING! You’ve done a wonderful job choosing, it all works so well together. And how different a look from before, even though the furniture is the same. I love it! Hope you get lots of lie-ins to enjoy it ;)
    Molly recently posted..Posh WelliesMy Profile

2. Sonia

It looks stunning Amanda! If it was my bedroom I’d never leave it ;O)
    Sonia recently posted..A Very Cosy Night InMy Profile

3. becky says:

Great job Amanda looks so pretty
    becky recently posted..Simple Ideas for a Rich Life – MarchMy Profile

4. jenni

I love this, a great mix of traditional pieces and modern design. The wallpaper is a great choice and so striking!
    jenni recently posted..Living Arrows 9/52My Profile

5. Oooh it looks LOVELY!! Come do my house!??!
    maggy, red ted art recently posted..Carrot Cupcake DecorationsMy Profile

6. Donna

This looks GORGEOUS!
    I love the chandelier … very glam. I definitely think you deserve a lie in now! :-)
    Donna recently posted..Creating a romantic trip for two : “mini moon” ideas in EuropeMy Profile

7. Liz Burton

Wow Amanda, this looks stunning!

I love yellow, our spare room is yellow and grey.

I *may* already have some of that wallpaper from B&Q fr crafting purposes!
    Liz Burton recently posted..Barbie the Pearl Princess – and 10 Mermaid ActivitiesMy Profile

8. Carolin

It’s gorgeous, Amanda. I love your wallpaper. I would have never considered yellow before, but it works really well with the wood and looks really fresh.
    Carolin recently posted..Shamrock Shake – A St Patrick’s Day MilkshakeMy Profile

9. Oh it’s beautiful! I love the mish mash of old and new, it’s gorgeous :) I totally reckon you made the right choice with the wallpaper, I’ve never been a fan of yellow really but this works so well! :)
    MummyNeverSleeps recently posted..All the Small Things #7My Profile

10. So very lovely – really sophisticated look x
    Mammasaurus recently posted..Flower PowerMy Profile

11. Emma

Wow Amanda your attention to detail is perfect. I am not so good at the little touches!
    Emma recently posted..Our day at Aardman StudiosMy Profile

12. jenny paulin

wow, just wow! what a beautifullly decorated room you have created, it looks so calming and serene. And so tasteful too! you have such a flare for it and such an eye for detail too – can i stop gushing now? it is just stunning x x
    jenny paulin recently posted..16 Ways To Eat PancakesMy Profile

13. Emma

Ooooh, it looks amazing!!! I’d love to be able to create a room like that, but I just don’t have the skills.
    Emma recently posted..Easy Flower CrownMy Profile

14. It looks amazing, you must be eager to get into bed every night… Although if I was you I’d be hiding up there as soon as the children had gone to bed to make the most of it
    Boo Roo and Tigger Too recently posted..Children’s Mother’s Day FashionMy Profile

15. Mary Keynko

Love the colour scheme! I’m not usually a fan of yellow but this shade you have in the wallpaper is beautiful! If my room looked like that – I’d never get out of bed!
    Mary Keynko recently posted..Should I wear heels or flats ?My Profile

16. Cass

That looks gorgeous – I love the wallpaper and the foxy cushion x x
    Cass recently posted..Girls bedroom makeover on a budget….My Profile

17. Gorgeous, Amanda! I love, love, LOVE the yellow :-)
    Antonia Ludden recently posted..Bathroom refresh – getting the spa look on a budget – Part 2My Profile

18. Liska

STUNNING bedroom. Wow just wow. You must be delighted with yourself. x
    Liska recently posted..Fifteen London – A great place to eat. With #Cbias the expert bloggers’ networkMy Profile

19. Amanda its stunning, i love the yellow its so beautiful.

After buying a new mattress 3 years ago i have to say i am kicking myself we didnt buy a memory foam one! xx
    Jaime Oliver recently posted..#52LittleThings Week 16 – Make a Bitesized Change This EasterMy Profile

20. Lee

Stunning – a real inspiration. I love the yellow/mustard choice.
    Lee recently posted..Rafflecopter Giveaway – Thai Silk ScarfMy Profile

21. Ooh it looks gorgeous in your bedroom!!
    Very beautiful and classy… just like its owner! I’m sure you’ll enjoy waking up in it for years to come!
    x

22. WONDERTHRIFT

I absolutely LOVE all the yellow. I really have a yellow thing going on at the moment and this is making me drroooool! x
    WONDERTHRIFT recently posted..Thrifty Food: Spaghetti Pie Recipe (Luxury Picnic Food from Leftovers!)My Profile

23. Beautiful room, really stylish and warm. The rattan headboard adds real texture and isn’t as heavy as a solid one would be. I love the chandelier and the crystal knobs, you’ve thought about everything. The mirrors are a great idea, I love mirrors, they add so much light but are stunning features at the same time. You must be thrilled :O)