Getting organised : A Blackboard Wall

| March 12, 2014 | 10 Comments

My last getting organised project I blogged about was a coat area some time ago, also in our kitchen and living space.  You can read about it HERE, and it is still going strong now.

We have an area in our kitchen with a thin magnetic board.  It’s where we pin paperwork that we need to remember, and also where our family calendar hangs.  I just doesn’t work.  Paper falls off all the time, and the calendar takes up too much of the small magnetic board.  So in this post I am going to look the small changes I made to make it work better for my family.

DSC_0966

I wanted to still have an area that was magnetic, but after reading the poor reviews of magnetic paint, I decided this was not the way to go. Instead I ordered some blackboard paint, I went for B&Q Funky Colours Chalkboard Paint Jet Black 500ml for £7.48. The whole strip of wall was painted and we added some colour with chalkboard paint pens, available at lots of places, we bought some for £10 from Amazon :

blackboardmakeoverOnce the paint was dry we used **chalk markers to decorate with some inspirational words.  Reusing the magnetic board kept the cost to a minimum.  Also as I had now moved the calendar to the side of the blackboard wall on the cupboard, it meant there is now much more space too.

**Chalk Markers : We have since realised that chalk markers will not come off on walls as they are porous, so they are better suited to glass etc. really.  So this weekend we will be repainting the bottom half of the wall, and using good fashioned chalk instead.  Or, as my friend Molly pointed out, we will always be needing ketchup, bread and milk! ;)

DSC_0045

All that was left then, was for the girls to have a doodle…

DSC_0058

This post has been added to the  #LoveYourHome Linky for bloggers.  Good luck with the new Linky Jen.

Category: Home and Garden - Ana Makeovers

1. Molly

I LOVE it! Especially your family rules (followed by we need ketchup – a definite requirement for thinking big ;) You are so clever with your makeovers.
    Molly recently posted..Magpie Monday at The White ApproachMy Profile

2. Kim Carberry

What a great idea! That looks fantastic x
    Kim Carberry recently posted..The childish habits we never give up!My Profile

3. ChrisTea And Cakes

Great makeover! My son has the chimney breast in his bedroom painted with blackboard paint and it’s great for leaving him messages, reminders, for homework working outs or just general graffiti. X

4. Carolin

I want one. This looks so much fun!
    Carolin recently posted..Wednesday Wishlist: Boys & Girls ClothingMy Profile

5. Love this Amanda! Something I’ve been meaning to do – looks so effective!
    Mammasaurus recently posted..Gift idea for Mother’s DayMy Profile

6. Wonderthrift

Oh, awesome :)
    Using the chalk pens makes a massive difference to how tidy it looks eh? Ours always look a bit rubbish with the chalk alone x
    Wonderthrift recently posted..Thrifty Home: Spring Clean your kitchen cupboardsMy Profile

7. Jen

Aah, oops! It looks fab though, even though the chalk markers have’t worked out. You can’t beat a good chalkboard wall :)
    Thanks for linking up #LoveYourHome
    Jen recently posted..The Brand New #LoveYourHome Linky for BloggersMy Profile

8. anna

This looks so cool! We are meaning to make a black board wall soon but for outside
    anna recently posted..Project 52: 12My Profile