Outspiration : Being Inspired to decorate your outdoor space

| May 1, 2014 | 22 Comments

I have a very nifty mobile app to show you today. When you are looking to paint, either metal, masonry or wooden surfaces outside. It can be confusing, and there are many decisions and easy mistakes to make. What colour to go for and what is the correct type of paint for the job? Or the ultimate question for everyone, especially if you are in the UK, what about the weather?

collage
Outspiration : I love my transformation

Well with this new Outspiration app from AkzoNobel it helps you visualise the job you are about to undertake, quickly and easily. It provides inspiration for all of that DIY painting outside, whilst giving you helpful hints and tips for the job at hand.  It even lets you know what the weather is like in your area.

The AkzoNobel brands used within the Outspiration app are Cuprinol, Dulux Weathershield and
Hammerite.While Cuprinol specialises in wooden surfaces, Dulux Weathershield specialises in
masonry or outdoor doors and windows and Hammerite specialises in metal surfaces, everything you need really!

Step 1. Download the Outspiration app from the Apple Store (Currently it is available on the iPhone)

Painting outdoors

The Outspiration App will show you the weather and whether it is suitable to paint in the next few days.  As we had a large area of fence and an arbour to paint, we did it over a couple of days, one fine and bright, the other a dull day, with cloud, it was still perfect to paint though.  I’ve got to say, this really is a fantastic idea, most people will buy paint ahead of actually doing the project.  This gives you much more flexibility to plan ahead.  or for forgetful people like me, it actually makes you think about the weather before starting a job.

Step 2. Press the camera icon, and take a photograph of the area that you want to paint.  You can see below, I have taken a shot of the wood I planned to paint against a green wooden fence, as I wanted to make sure my colour choice would work with the green.

Painting Outdoors

Step 3. You can then mark out the area, that you need to paint, even cutting out areas that don’t need painting for a more intricate project.  You can see below, where I have filled the areas that need to be painted, the app preselects the bright green colour making it simple to see.

Painting Outdoors App

Step 4. Choose a paint colour.  I choose Cuprinol Shades, Silverbirch (see below) after trying out all of the different colours.  It is a modern silver-grey, and a good contrast I thought to the warm dark green.  Using this app saved me from making a costly and time-consuming wrong decision.

Painting Outdoors App

Though I must admit, I was very tempted by all of the gorgeous ice cream colours available, especially this Sweet Sundae colour. When you have finished you can upload your project to the Outspiration gallery.  Maybe even get inspired for another project.Painting Outdoors App

So here in more detail is the project I undertook thanks to the Outspiration app.  A plain hardwood arbour that had been donated to us, as we wanted to add more seating to our garden. We had suffered with the storm damage in the winter, so had needed a completely new back fence too. We used the Outspiration app to match up Cuprinol colours of back the fence panels, to the green of each of the sides.

Before

You can see the nude wood fence more clearly here:

wide
Here is the finished result :

Bafter

It was a dead space really, which was a shame as it is a sun trap in the summer.  So after we painted the arbour, we added some pots, and planted them up with flowers, strawberry plants, herbs and even a small olive tree.

Bcloseup
It looks so lovely at night, as we also have added solar lights too.  The arbour has pride of place now, next to my favourite tree in the garden, aptly the Silverbirch!

Bsideshot

The colour, was true to the Outspiration app, and was the perfect contrast to the fence at the back of the garden.Bwideproductshot

A comfy seating area in the sunshine!

Bcrupinol

You can download and find out more about the Outspiration app HERE. The app will host regular competitions, including to celebrate the launch, a fab outdoor giveaway for a barbecue, which opened on April 28th.  Just keep an eye on the WIN section on the app to enter.  It will also let you know of any offers available at the larger DIY stores.  I actually bought my paint on a three for two offer, that the app let me know about, very handy!

So what do you think? Have a go at downloading the app and let me know.

This post is brought to you in association with AkzoNobel. I was given vouchers to spend on paint and compensated for my time.  The post is an honest reflection of my experience.

Love Chic Living and Love Your Home

Category: Home and Garden - Ana Makeovers

1. Emma

I love the sound of Outspiration, so so clever! And your revamped garden looks lovely! :)
    Emma recently posted..Around ArrasMy Profile

2. Such a good choice of color – and loving this app, that fact that it tells the weather ahead too is genius!
    Mammasaurus recently posted..51. How does your garden grow?My Profile

3. Ooh I need to download this app, we are looking to fresh up our decking and garden furniture and have been toying with the idea of different colours. I’d love to see how it would look before we start painting

4. Emma

That’s a nifty little app. I need to pretty up my garden – i just never seem to have the time!
    Emma recently posted..Money saving at lunchtimesMy Profile

5. Liz Burton

I read about this on Becky’s blog yesterday, it sounds so clever. I’ll download it later today.
    Liz Burton recently posted..Kid’s Kurio Tablet – 7S reviewMy Profile

6. Michelle

That app is AMAZING! I love that it’s so easy to use and it’s even better than having a tester pot.

Also, you have transformed that part of your garden with the paint-facelift, what a beautiful seat you’ve created! x
    Michelle recently posted..Would you pass a Life in the UK test without studying?My Profile

7. Penny Carr

What a great idea for an app. We’re about to put some wooden stuff in our garden and are trying to decide whether we should paint them and our old shed or not. This app should really help us – I’ll make sure to show it Mr C tonight. Thanks!
    Penny Carr recently posted..Growing the giant crochet granny squareMy Profile

8. Jayne

What an excellent app – I ADORE your choice of colour and the arbour looked amazing once it was painted.
    Jayne recently posted..“Be a Good Girl”My Profile

9. Mary Keynko

This looks fun! I will have to download it later! We are planning on re painting the shed this summer – this may well make it less stressful!
    Mary Keynko recently posted..52 cook books week 17 Breakfast muffinsMy Profile

10. Kirsty says:

You have really inspired me to inject some colour into the garden this year. We have a lot of boring brown fence but with some inspiration for this app it could become a feature and I LOVE your bright floral cushions.
    Kirsty recently posted..The Gruffalo ActivitiesMy Profile

11. becky says:

So lovely Amanda looks really good
    becky recently posted..Fitness Goals and Looking GoodMy Profile

12. Donna

I am hearing lots of good things about this app!
    I love what you did – gorgeous colour x
    Donna recently posted..WIN Free Glasses for LifeMy Profile

13. Emma

It looks brilliant! Well done you. x
    Emma recently posted..Which way now??My Profile

14. Genius! Your garden looks beautiful too.
    Trish – Mum’s Gone to recently posted..Mum’s gone to EdinburghMy Profile

15. otilia

I love your little corner of bliss! I imagine you reading a book there on a sunny day x
    otilia recently posted..What would I do without my coffee?My Profile

16. Brilliant! I’m downloading it because, like you, we also had storm damage and all my wooden furniture needs freshening up and protecting!
    Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer recently posted..The Random Musings of a 50 Year Old.My Profile

17. Jane

What a clever little app!
    Jane recently posted..Sleeping through the alarms: The Night Time HypoMy Profile

18. Ruth

What a good idea – no excuse for bad paint jobs now! Love your cosy little alcove too :)

19. Penny

I am literally about to do our fence and I am toying between green and blue, loads of outspiration here, thanks will give the app a whirl! Yours looks so fab!
    Penny recently posted..YAY! A Residence made the BIBS Video Award ShortlistMy Profile

20. That app is brilliant. I love the colour you’ve used it has a lovely puple tone to it. Looks great. #LoveYourHome
    Hellie’s Corner recently posted..My Desk Make-Over…My Profile

21. What a gorgeous result, colours are stunning! I could sit there all day.
    Antonia Ludden recently posted..Review: Furniture and Homeware from Rose & GreyMy Profile

22. Jen

Love the final result! The app is really useful, I do hope they continue to develop it. thanks for joining in this week :) #loveyourhome
    Jen recently posted..#LoveYourHome for Bloggers – 1st MayMy Profile