Ok, the REAL Christmas planning is full steam ahead now. I am Mrs Organised when it comes to most things really, I have to be because I have such a poor memory. I can’t recommend enough having a Christmas Diary, dedicated to the presents and the food. Honestly its saved my pigs in blankets more than once. I also write a menu plan for Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day, as I find if I don’t I always get in a bit of a muddle.
Christmas Eve – Saturday 24th December
- Breakfast – American Style Pancakes with bacon or sweet toppings – reminds us of holidays in America.
- Lunch – Sandwiches, crisps and fruit for dessert
- Dinner – lasagna meat and vegetarian. This will be a good one, as there is always lots left over, so I can freeze for later in the week. Served with Garlic bread and salads. For afters there will be lemon curd and jam tarts, or mince pies (It’s a tradition now that we eat these on Christmas Eve, a gentle reminder as well to leave one out for Father Christmas.
- Before bed we will have Hot Chocolate, and watch something like The Polar Express (my favourite) with popcorn.
Christmas Day – Sunday 25th December
- Breakfast – Pain au chocolat or croissants, and fresh fruit.This needs to be as easy as possible, so this kind of picking food is ideal. Chilled sparkling red wine, through the morning, if you haven’t tried it, its amazing!
- Lunch – Roast turkey, and maybe a small gammon served with brussels sprouts, red cabbage, carrots and swede mashed, roast and mashed potato, cauliflower cheese and roasted Parsnips and carrots. With extras of pigs in blankets, stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce and of course gravy. Dessert will be Christmas pudding, with cream or custard, but usually everyone is too full for it until much later in the day.
- Dinner – Leftovers of the meats, with pickles and cheeses, savoury cabbage coleslaw. Topped off with chocolate, if we can fit anything else in!
Boxing Day – Monday 26th December
- A breakfast of either eggs on English muffins, or bacon sandwiches
- Lunch Strozzapreti Pesto Rosso, either veggie or with chicken. I’ll be making a big fruit salad for boxing day, and serve it with mini meringues.
- Dinner – Buffet style with salads and cheeses and some of the party food.
Next Monday I’ll be sharing the recipes for brussels sprouts and the savoury cabbage coleslaw.