Sudbury Hall and the National Trust Museum of Childhood

| June 17, 2014 | 16 Comments

Fun,  laughter, picnics, learning new things, tree climbing,  jumping and even more laughter that’s what our day at Sudbury Hall was all about yesterday. Here in photographs is our day :

DSC_0900

The girls had an inset day so my BF Claire (and her daughter) and I used our National Trust memberships to visit Sudbury Hall and the Museum of Childhood

DSC_0082
The Sudbury grounds have a wooded play area, close to the hall.

DSC_0954

We went there after lunch, to burn off some energy, before visiting the museum.  As it was Monday it wasn’t very busy so we had the place to ourselves really.
DSC_0998

They all had great fun, it was a lovely safe place to play. Really well maintained.

DSC_0018

With trees to climb, and lots of apparatus, all made from wood it blended really well into the surrounding landscape.DSC_0947

That’s an impressive jump there Nia!

DSC_0980

Before I forget, Claire and I can definitely recommend this as a picnic apéritif! ;)

DSC_0923

DSC_0101

So many places in the grounds to stop, take photographs and enjoy the view.DSC_0091

We took advantage of this huge bench to take some photographs, which was, towards the rear of the main house.

DSC_0075

DSC_0071

I think this photo kinda sums up Claire and I nicely!
DSC_0048

The Museum of Childhood we would definitely recommend, whether it is to relive your memories, which Claire and I did a lot as we were walking around, or for the children to discover and learn new things.  The staff were so friendly and always engaging with the children.

…exploring the childhoods of times gone by, make stories, play with toys and share your childhood with others. You can be a chimney sweep, a scullion or a Victorian pupil, and be captivated by our archive film and interactive displays.

Whilst we were in the museum, the children loved looking at all of the toys.  In the story time area, they donned masks and costumes and put on a show.  This was the finale of the show, I just love this photo.

DSC_0109

So in the four/five hours we were there, we visited the museum and the grounds, had a picnic and went to the tea and gift shop, then it was unfortunately time to go.  I think to really enjoy the museum, children would need to be 4+, but there is fun to be had if they are younger, in the play areas outside and in the museum. We didn’t get to visit the hall, as its closed on a Monday,  but we will next time.

sudbury2

We’ll definitely be back though!

sudbury3

Useful Online Details :

Sudbury Hall : https://twitter.com/Sudbury_HallNT

Opening Times and Prices and special events :  http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sudbury-hall-and-museum-of-childhood/

Category: Family, Travel/Holidays

1. Penny

What beautiful pictures Amanda, love your outfit too! I love it there, great place to go with grandparents too, my Dad tells us so many stories when we go!
    Penny recently posted..8 things I learnt at #ESVC Global Summit to end Sexual ViolenceMy Profile

2. becky says:

I helped take a school trip there last year …did they get to have a go at being chimney sweeps? i was shocked to see my old brownie uniform in a museum!
    becky recently posted..Sunuva Clothes to keep kids safe in the sun.My Profile

3. Lovely photos – National Trust places are always a joy to visit, so well kept and the kids always love it at an any age! x
    Mammasaurus recently posted..The Good Things #1 – Sir Benjamin Stone’s PicturesMy Profile

4. otilia

What lovely pictures! They all say how much fun you had! And that picture with the bench at the end is fantastic! I love it!
    otilia recently posted..Parenting Pin-It Party #57My Profile

5. Liz Burton

What a gorgeous sounding place.

Love the photos of you all on the bench – it looks like you’ve been shrunk!
    Liz Burton recently posted..What my sight means to meMy Profile

6. Mum of One

Such lovely photos and what a lovely way to preserve memories of what looked to be a really lovely day. I must catch up with my friends more and a visit to somewhere like this with the kids would be great. Might see if I can arrange something now…thaanks for the idea x

7. What a fabulous set of photos you got there Amanda, that is a great bench. We love our NT membership and I’ve not been to Sudbury Hall before, so I will remember it for the future. Thanks, Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted..A family trip to Belfast?My Profile

8. That looks lovely, I never think to go to places like that. Great pics of you all

9. Awesome photos. We have Sudbury on our list of places to visit. Love our National Trust membership – you are never stuck for a day out! x
    Louise Edwards recently posted..The Gallery: The Great Outdoors #50things @nationaltrust @campbestivalMy Profile

10. Ruthy

Lovely photos! Especially of everyone sitting on the Alice in Wonderland bench :-)
    Ruthy recently posted..The Vintage Village at Stockport MarketMy Profile