Cyprus is such a fantastic place for fresh produce, we tried some gorgeous things whilst we were over there recently, on a James Villas holiday. I shared with you on my collaborative travel blog We Blog Travel, some of the things we found and ate. So I wanted to share with you today, the most delicious summer salad, that I’ve named Cyprus Salad.
It’s a copy of a salad we had whilst in Cyprus, and also made in the villa, whilst we were there. It would serve a family of four, if served with bread and the usual hummus, beetroot and tzatziki. You could also add smoked fish too, like a mackerel, or a cured ham which would work well. Cyprus Salad
- 4 stick of celery, if they have the leaves on them, add those too.
- 1 whole cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- 8 tomatoes
- large handful of walnuts
- 4-6 sliced dried figs (not soft if you can find them, I couldn’t in the UK)
- 1 pack of Halloumi
- 3 tablespoons of capers from a jar
Bread and dips with cured ham or smoked fish too.
- Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil per person
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar per person
- A little sea salt
- This really is so simple. You finely chop the cucumber. I remove the outer layer of the skin before doing this sometimes, but it’s not essential.
- Finely chop the celery too, using the less stringy hearts of the celery, and adding the leaves if you have them.
- Quarter the tomatoes, smaller if they are really large.
- Finely slice the green pepper.
- Lightly chop the walnuts and then slice the figs.
- These should then be all added to a salad bowl with the capers and mixed together.
- Grill the halloumi, which should be sliced length ways. I recommend doing this as thinly as you can, I just think it tasted better after grilling. Make sure you do both sides.
- For the dressing add the ingredients together and whisk. Add it to the salad at the very last-minute, you can also add some greek oregano for a stronger flavour.
That’s it a simple Cyprus salad, that is perfect for summer!
If you want to find out more about My Holiday Dish with James Villas, then either follow the hashtag on twitter (#MyHolidayDish) or follow THIS link.