I wanted to look today at some simple changes, you could make this summer, to help you lead a healthier life style. I love turning the new year idea on its head, and start new things in summer. There is something so energising about doing it at this time of year. I think you tend to have more spare time, as the days are longer and we often have holidays, or long weekends booked off planned. So here are a few ideas of what you can do to feel healthier this summer.
Drink more water
It sounds so simple, but as someone who has come very late to the party when it comes to hydration, I can assure you it makes such a difference to how you look and feel. Try setting a timer on your phone (there are even apps to help you with this) set yourself a goal, then try to increase it as summer continues. Lots more tips on this post on drinking more water that I wrote.
The benefits of not smoking can be felt almost immediately.
- You will save money
- Your sense of taste will return and you will enjoy the taste of food more.
- Your breathing and general fitness.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth.
- Your fertility levels will improve.
You can tackle this is various ways with even tablets to help you stop smoking available.
In summer months it can be easy to fall into habits of drinking more alcohol. My best advice is rather than reaching for a glass of wine or cocktail try a refreshing mocktail in the evening or when you are out with friends or at home.
Here’s one of my favourites:
- 15 mint leaves.
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar.
- Large squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Dash of syrup.
- 4 ounces chilled ginger ale or 4 ounces soda or 4 ounces sparkling water.
Do something that makes you happy
This may seem a little left field, but for me a healthy mind is just as important as the body. Self care can come on lots of different forms, so I thought I’s list a few ideas for you to try.
- Get up, half an hour earlier and go for a walk. It can be a great time to think when its quiet outside.
- Instead of reaching for your phone in the evening choose a magazine or book to read instead.
- Take your lunch outside. Enjoy the rays.
- Book yourself to have a treat, hair, nails or maybe a facial
- Make yourself a playlist, put it on when you are doing some of your most hated jobs. For me its the ironing, it seriously get me though it.