Todays Outdoor Dining Collaborative Post is thanks to Jacamo.
Do you love eating outside? We do, and on average households in the UK have 10 BBQ’s a year. I’m sure last year that average increased a little with the long hot summer we had. What kind of outside dining is your favourite? We love a burger, veggie for me. I make a mean spicy halloumi kebab with peppers and mushrooms, but we also adore BBQ’d sweetcorn on the side. Last weekend we were lucky enough to be invited for a BBQ with a difference, a pizza from an outdoor pizza oven.
Outdoor Dining – Pizza Oven
There’s something about cooking outside that just make the food taste better. We’d love to invest in a pizza oven like this. My husband loves cooking outside, he finds it relaxing, especially when he gets to experiment with flavours. I love the prep side and all assembling of the side dishes. So we make a good BBQ team I think. Whatever we decide on though it has to be accompanied for us by a huge salad packed full of different textures and of course something to drink too.
Outdoor Dining – So happy with her pizza
You can see on the below graphic made by Jacamo some facts about the UK and their love of BBQ’s. I love the recipes that have been shared. I think my top tips would be as follows:
- Make sure the BBQ and all of the implements are clean. Everything is refrigerated before being cooked or eaten. That everyone washes their hands.
- Make life easier for yourself and do the prep first, so that you can then relax and enjoy it.
- Have a container to bring all of the condiments and seasoning out in one go. You always forget things and this way you are only making one trip…hopefully!
- Plastic/bamboo – We have a large set of plates and drinking cups to use outside that won’t break. Especially important if there are children or pets around.
- Lots of napkins. You can pick up cloth ones in the sale really cheaply. I love mismatched ones to give an eclectic look to a table.
- A large jug of water with ice, lemon or cucumber. Keep hydrated in the warm weather.
So today I thought I’d share with you my perfect BBQ salad, that we love in the summer. Something fresh with lots of different textures.
The perfect summer BBQ salad.
- 4 sticks of celery, if they have the leaves on them, add those too.
- 1 whole cucumber
- 1 green pepper
- 8 tomatoes
- large handful of walnuts
- 4-6 sliced dried figs (they are hard to find in the UK as we usually sell soft ones)
- 1 pack of Halloumi
- 3 tablespoons of capers from a jar
- Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil per person
- 1 teaspoon of red wine vinegar per person
- A little sea salt
- Chop the cucumber into bitesize pieces.
- Finely chop the celery too, using the less stringy hearts of the celery, and adding the leaves if you have them.
- Quarter the tomatoes, smaller if they are really large.
- Finely slice the green pepper.
- Lightly chop the walnuts and then slice the figs.
- These should then be all added to a salad bowl with the capers and mixed together.
- Grill the halloumi, which should be sliced lengthways. I recommend doing this as thinly as you can, I just think it tasted better after grilling. Make sure you do both sides.
- For the dressing add the ingredients together and whisk. Add it to the salad at the very last minute, you can also add some greek oregano for a stronger flavour.
That’s it a simple Cyprus salad, that is perfect for a summer BBQ!
Thanks again to Jacamo for collaborating with me on this post.