Until I had a press release land in my inbox a few weeks ago, I hadn’t even heard of the Fire HD6 Kids Edition. I really wanted to review it, as we had lots of travel plans, and I thought this would be an interesting one to put through its paces throughout summer. We’ve only had it for a week so far, so these are just my initial thoughts. I am going to revisit this post, at the end of summer as I think it would be only fair to use it for a few weeks and get a thorough review.
First up, what’s in the box:
A case, either blue or pink, which is a little dissapointing, but as both of my daughter love blue, I opted for this colour. Also a charger, cable, the Fire HD 6 Kids Edition and some very basic instructions.
It was very easy to set up, I did so using my own Amazon account, and then added an additional two profiles. One for my 6-year-old, and a teen one for my nearly 13-year-old.
I then set time limits on my youngest daughters profile (not on Nia’s) and because they have an unlimited 1 year subscription plan, they can download any of the child-friendly apps, games, ebooks and videos. I think once a child get used to how the Fire HD 6 works, its pretty simple, though it did take my girls a couple of days, as they are used to apple products. So far the things I like are the parenting controls, especially that you can out it into ‘bedtime mode’ meaning the child can’t play on it during the hours of 8pm to 8am.
Why choose a Fire HD 6 Kids Edition:
- 2-year worry-free guarantee: if they break it, return it and Amazon will replace it for free. No questions asked.
- 1 year of Fire for Kids Unlimited included with access to thousands of books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games – at no additional cost
- Easy-to-use parental controls: manage usage limits, content access, and educational goals.
- Kid-Proof Case: Its seems very durable, it’s not heavy but feels like it will definitely protect it from accidental drops.
- Front and rear cameras. Any photographs taken with the fire automatically save to the Cloud Drive. There is free unlimited Cloud storage for photos taken with Fire HD.
- HD display and Dolby Audio
- Only titles they can access will be visible on the tablet, so no visual temptations.
- Up to 4 profiles can be made for different children.
Price : Available from Amazon
8 GB £119