A wedding takes a lot of planning, but the to do list doesn’t stop after you’ve exchanged your vows. There are a list of tasks you need to do after the wedding too, so make you don’t forget in your new haze of wedded bliss.
- Decide what you’re going to do with your wedding dress. Whether you’re keeping, donating or selling it, arrange to have it cleaned as soon as possible before any stains set in. Store it properly in a clothes bag while you decide what you want to do with it.
- Send thank-you notes. Putting it off won’t make the task any easier, and sending out thank you notes to people who bought you a wedding gift will make them feel appreciated. Get the task done early so it doesn’t hang over you. If one of you is changing your name, get it sorted, and make sure you update your name with places like your bank, your bills and the payroll at work. Follow a guide to make sure you’ve told everyone you need to.
- Decide what to do about any property you own. After marriage, many couples use a transfer of equity to change ownership of a property into both their names. Get a transfer of equity quote to start this process if this is something you want to do.
- Review your will. Nobody wants to think about it, but it’s important that you have a clear will for when you die. You may not want to change anything after you marry, but take the time to check what it currently says and if there’s anything that needs changing.
- Take on a new challenge or hobby to dodge the post-wedding blues. Once the wedding adrenaline wears off, it’s normal to feel a little flat. You’ve spent months planning this event and now it’s over. To help ease the blues, keep busy or take on a new challenge to keep your mind occupied. A new hobby, maybe a joint hobby you can do with your new spouse, could be a good option.
- Sort through your wedding photos and decide which ones you want in your wedding album. Whether you get a physical album from your photographer, or just choose a curated selection to post on Facebook, take the time to go through all the pictures and choose which one you want. Choose a few to send to the family too.
- Work out what to do with wedding decor. If you decorated the venue yourself, you might have quite a lot of stuff like candles, vases and confetti left over. Decide if there’s anything you want to keep, and then decide if there’s anything you could sell to make back some money. Donate, recycle or throw out the rest.
- Take down your wedding website. If you ran your gift list through your website, you may want to leave it up for a couple of weeks, but remember to take it down once you don’t need it anymore.
I’d love to hear if you have any more ideas!