As we are nearing the festive season, more and more of us, will be readying our homes. I don’t just mean putting up the decorations, it can be a good time to look at your home with fresh eyes. Should we really be replacing those old stained coffee cups, how about the tea towels you’ve had for years? I think that Christmas can also be the prefect time to declutter, so your home is looking tip-top. Because many of us will be inviting friends and family to stay, its important to not forget those preparations too.
I have a high street favourite when it comes to getting more individual items for my home, especially if I’m looking for unusual items that are are a reasonable price, and that’s HomeSense. If I have a list of different items, which need to be gotten for my home, I think it’s the perfect place to start your search, as you often will only need to visit there and you’ve ticked it all of your shopping list.
HomeSense has everything from toiletries, soft furnishings, furniture and finishing touches. Last year, I practised what I preached, and made a ‘HomeSense Dash’ with my good friend Jen from Love Chic Living. I was having family stay over, and I needed to use both my spare room, and sofa bed downstairs. I just didn’t have enough of essential items like bedding as well as some of the extra special things, needed to make your guests feel at home. I went to HomeSense and managed to find everything I needed in one afternoon, including some great gifts too.
Here are my top tips to what you need to make those guest comfortable for an overnight stay this Christmas :
- I use a basket for the bedding in the day, which could then house any additional cushions and blankets, just in case it drops colder in the night.
- A side table that doubles up as a bedside table is a must. Somewhere for your guests to take off their jewellery, maybe their glasses or store their contacts? Don’t worry about having two if you don’t have the space, one is absolutely fine.
Blankets, bedding light and cushions all HomeSense.
- I found a faux orchid when I popped to HomeSense, which is perfect alternative to fresh flowers.
- How to avoid any embarrassing morning smells? *ahem* Try buying a reed diffuser or scented candle.
- Pop a few magazines and books on the side table, tailor it to who is staying. Great if they aren’t able to sleep, or wake early and don’t want to disturb you.
Towels, toiletries and eye mask – HomeSense.
- Freshly laundered bedding, with extra blankets. We all know about that freshly laundered bed bliss don’t we?
- A water jug is also something I would also definitely recommend. We all wake up thirsty, if we’ve been enjoying the Christmas cheer don’t we? *hic*
Tray, mugs, coffee can and biscuits – HomeSense.
- A clock, one that doesn’t tick and is easy to set the alarm on is also a great idea.
- WIFI code. I jot this down on a pad, as I often find later they need the code for another device and can’t remember the code.
- Enough towels for the guests, bath and hand towels.
- A bathrobe would also be a great touch too.
- A small selection of toiletries, saves any embarrassment of having to ask for things.
- I always include an eye mask, because I know I prefer a room to be very dark.
Follow this, and I’m sure you’ ll be all set!
Head to your local HomeSense store or online HERE to purchase one of the exclusive Christmas tree baubles(£3.99) as part of their extra special partnership with The Prince’s Trust. There are two baubles to choose from, and are available from the 14 November. The bauble will be sold exclusively as part of the much loved HomeSense Charity Christmas campaign, Hang a Bauble.