Sometimes you hear about things that are so cool, you just have to share them. That was the case when I was asked if I would like to adopt an Olive Tree. Yup really, my very own olive tree, and by doing so I was helping support a traditional farming community. Here at the Ana Mum Diary household we are huge fans of olive oil particularly when we are cooking and serving our favourite Italian dishes. So what would we get when we adopted a tree? Well we would receive the most delicious olive oil throughout the year from our very own tree! How cool is that?
The name of the company is Pomora, a combination of, or portmanteau of the words Pomona (Roman goddess of fruitful abundance who watches over fruit trees, gardens and orchards and cares for their cultivation) and hora (the Latin word for hour or time).
I of course said yes to it, I think this is a fantastic idea whether you would like to treat yourself, family, or as a gift for the foodie friend in your life.
So let’s go into a little more detail, as I actually have a year adoption to giveaway on the blog.
To adopt costs £29 per quarter (a minimum adoption of two quarters is needed) When you sign up with Pomora, they will send you an adoption pack – an adoption certificate and an adoption booklet of information about your tree. This is sent via the internet, so its great if you have bought this as a last-minute gift, you can easily print it out, or forward it on as an email. You can ask for a hard copy of the certificate and information if you need it too. Throughout the year, your farmer will also keep you up-to-date with news of your tree and how the season is progressing.
The olive oil is good as well, and I mean really good! Antonio and Carmelo both from Italy are the farmers, they press their own olives using traditional methods under strictly controlled conditions in order to produce the finest olive oil. It is from these two farmers, that Pomora get the oil, they then ship it straight to you.
With the adoption each quarter you receive olive oil from your tree. This consists of three 250ml cans of olive oil, and each quarter what arrives is different.
Winter Quarter – 3 x 250ml Olio Nuovo (see above)
Spring Quarter – 3 x 250ml flavoured oils
Summer Quarter – 3 x 250ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Autumn Quarter – 3 x 250ml flavoured oils
I’ve just received the Olio Nuovo (see the above image) look at the vibrant green colour of this young olive oil. It tastes delicious, very fresh, almost zingy and grassy in favour, amazing!
So I am sure there are lots of you out there who would also love to adopt your very own olive tree, so here are the giveaway details to do just that :
Terms and Conditions:
- Entry is open to UK and US residents only, excluding anyone associated with the Promoter.
- One winners will receive a years adoption from Pomora. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and there is no cash alternative.
- The prize draw starts at 12.01am GMT on 24 March 2015 and closes at 11.59pm GMT on 6 April 2015.
- Entry is within the rafflecopter tool
- The winners will be drawn at random using Rafflecopter and they must have left a means of contact.
- The winners will be notified by email. They will have 28 days to respond, after which time a redraw will take place.
- In the unlikely event that the prize becomes unavailable the Promoter reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal value.
- The Promoter’s decision on all matters is final and binding on all entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
- By taking part in this competition you agree to be bound by the competition terms and conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify any entrant and / or winner in its discretion and without any notice in accordance with these terms and conditions.
Have any more questions about this, then Pomora have produced a handy FAQ page.